Monday, April 13, 2009

I think I could focus on elements of book theory and this would encompass what I wanted to say about artists' books and private presses, as well as easily enable original content. It also helps me decide who the audience should be. I'm thinking people interested in book theory (I promise there are such people out there) -- this would include those in communication studies, people interested in the history of the book, artists' books, publishing and related fields. I have in mind people who know a lot about these fields as well as people who do not.

So I can cover: Artists' books, private presses, contemporary philosophical thinking about the book form (at least two major twentieth century French thinkers...), I have plenty of links in mind, and I'll continue thinking about what else I might want to discuss.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I had some good advice to give but I really don't have too much, only to say that the topic sounds really neat. Regarding artists' books you may find some good resources at local art schools. I once contributed to a chapbook on the subject of dance, created by local Philadelphia painter Lesley Mitchell. Lesley is a dance teacher who specializes in Argentine tango. A lot of her paintings have dance as subject matter. She taught at PAFA and she teaches at the University City Arts League.

    Doreva

    ReplyDelete
  2. As some people have already mentioned, I'd vote for your audience to be librarians. Or at least those who don't know much about artists' books and private presses - just that they're interesting. Not saying you should dumb down anything for us though; I just like your idea so would like to be able to understand what you're saying myself! Sure others feel the same.

    PS - your About Me photo is the possibly best thing I have ever seen

    ReplyDelete